Third project- a linen kurta.
I made a pattern based on one that used to be mine. It was quite paneled to get the sleeve/armhole shaping so I adjusted it to make regular armholes. Its quite easy making your own patterns even if you dont have any experience. Just remember seam allowances and align measurements. When you have a piece of clothing thats relatively simple and you love the shape, I really recomend giving it a go. So often I follow a pattern and it doesnt work. Things going wrong is a lot less frustrating when you havent spent money on a pattern and the postage.
For facings you are tracing off the main front and back pieces but curve them to finish a couple of inches down from the edge. Then I turned them under and hemed them before attaching them to the neck edge. NOT the shoulder seams. When you open out the facings attached to each piece, you then sew across all four shoulder seams from facing/front to back/facing. Then you press and tuck your facings inside. Neat.
I clipped into the front slit before turning it through. In hind sight I think a propper placket would look nicer but I dont mind the look of this opening.
Next up-pj pants and some shorts for Henry. And I'll make another hat.