Known formally as Anna Maria Horners Paper Fan Dress. Mostly.
When I saw Suzy the other week, she was putting together the sweetest fabrics to make a dress for her Miss M. Despite having a moment when I wondered if I was too old to wear Amsterdam houses on my clothing, I didnt think that much about it. But then I walked in here yesterday and yelp. There. The sweet little houses and market stalls print. SWOON.
One metre. In case I didn't know what to do with it other than a pillow for myself. On my side . You know.
This morning I woke and I knew I had to make my God Daughter 'The Dress'. Ignoring the fact that I had already made something else for her birthday (which has since been bumped to Christmas as you do), I got busy.
Because I had seen Suzy's, I assumed wrongly that the bottom panel was part of the pattern and for a moment, when I was doing the maths for the skirt, I envisaged Lola in a whopping great nightie.
After tracing the pattern pieces for the bodice straight of the computer screen onto tracing paper ( which is what I do whenever it is a printable pattern and I am in a hurry) I sewed like a demon today. In between baking yogurt cake ( completely addicted) and taking to one of the wheels from the pram with a hammer then nearly breaking my finger tips trying to install the new part that came in the mail ( the damn wheel sailed off into the bushes yesterday on the way to school) and feeding the baby and cruising instagram, twitter and checking emails...I sewed.
It is definitely a sew between drop off and pick up frock to whip up.
Anyway I made a dress. Not completely correctly but then I never really do.
My fudgery is as follows:
The bottom panel ( which I know you ) is 6inches deep.
I french seemed. I know-booooring but overlockers and I don't really get on. I think edges should not be seen or heard.
I did not cut a front skirt piece and left back/ right back pieces for the skirt. Its about 4 inches shy of the pattern measurements but I managed because there was no seem allowance and I ditched a pleat. See? Cheeky.
I also didn't do the foldover skirt top attached to the bodice. Didn't really like it. Instead I inserted the skirt top and sewed it to the right side of the bodice, then pressed the lining side under and stitched it down much like you would if you machined your binding on quilts. This was scary for me as I hate a wonky on/off the line machined line too, and if Id had the time I would have whip stitched it but that damn clock was sweeping around by then.
The final act is the two buttons and this is where my machine and I had a bloody great fight. I'm sure if I'd bothered to change my blunting needle and sewed button holes more often therefore remebering which order I have to turn the dials.... Well it would have gone better.
There is a huge risk that I may match Miss Lola. You see I couldnt resist holding the skirt piece up to my waist and woo it would make a pretty skirt.
God Daughter is on a blue/green/ yellow kick at the moment so her necklace went a little like this.